This is due to the poor documentation from the dell support.
Every one trying to re-install the drivers will land into the Dell's support page:
You need to follow the order of installation. Dell never documented this order. Neither they specified the level of importance correctly. Usually all the users look at the 'Urgent' category and try to install them first. This will cause the mess.
Follow the below order:
- Install Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.
- Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.
- Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category). Restart not needed.
If you have already installed sigmatel before the steps2. Un install it first and re -install in the order. If you still can not get the sound, that means that there is a problem with the windows registry. Do the below steps to create the Registry key for the Sigmatel:
- Open the device manager ( My Computer -> Right click -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
- Right click on the 'Media Controller' -> update driver.