While selecting 'Edit Properties' from a document's context menu or adding a document to the lib, this error occurs.
There are so many reasons, main reason is sharepoint is not capable of changning the metadata of a file due to the metadata is being locked down!
Microsoft documents' metadata gets locked due to any one of the following reasons:
- Document is placed to a sharepoint library from another LOB application automatically.
- Document is checked out to some other user.
- Document is checked in using a different version (eg.DOCX), thus causing an invalid property promotion/demotion.
- First of all avoid uploading more than 5 MB size doc in the lib.
- Down load the document from the doc library to the local desktop location.
- Rename/Change the desired metadata that you wanted to edit.
File -> Properties -> Custom Properties -> choose any property like client and
type any value -> Add -> Close the dialog -> Save the document.
- Upload the changed document back to the doc library.
- If you still face the problem, then check whether MSXML 6.0 is un-installed.
If its un installed, re-install !