You can map a short URL(http://sales/) to a long URL(http://International/US/sales) from the IIS.
- Create a New Virtual Directory(site) with the short name you want(http://sales/)
Keep all the default values in the wizard.
- After creating the new site, go back to the IIS and right click on the newly created Website(http://sales/) -> Properties -> Home Directory -> select the "A redirection to a URL" radio button -> type the big URL(http://International/US/sales).
Each time the user types http://sales/ in the browser, the application pool assigned in the IIS will get invoked and assigned as the resources. Thus wasting the part of application pool for an unwanted. Although you are done with the redirect, you may follow the below steps to utilize the resources to the best.
- Create a new Application pool in IIS.(right click on the application pools -> New)
- Name the application pool and complete the wizard.
- right click on the application pool created -> Properties -> Performance -> Shut down the worker process after being Idle for -> 1 minute.
- Go back to the Websites -> right click on the website redirect -> properties -> set the new application pool to be used.
Redirect from a Sharepoint Page:
If you want the user to automatically redirect to a new destination page(http://newserver/newsite/page2.aspx) from the old page (http://oldserver/oldsite/page1.aspx), you need write the following meta tag inside a content editor webpart on the page1.aspx.
Moss Redirect Content Type:
MOSS publishing pages by default have 'redirect' pages associated. If you see the 'New' toolbar menu on any publishing site's 'Pages' document library, you will find the redirect page. Create the page -> edit properties -> set the destination URL. you are all set.
This feature is not available in team sites.