Friday, July 27, 2007

DVD player is skipping and making noise

Issue:

last week I got a DVD from Netflix which was completely cracked and pasted with a plaseter to fool the customers. Without the knowledge, I inserted into my DELL INSPIRON machine. After that moment, whatever DVD I try to play on my lappy, it keeps skipping the voice/picture and made me irk!!

Solution:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Select Properties
3. Click on Hardware
4. Click on Device Manager
5. Double click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
6. Double click on Primary channel
7. Click Advanced Settings and check it says DMA if available and is set to Ultra DMA, mode 5.
8. Do the same for the secondary channel -- it should be Ultra DMA, mode 2.

If your PC doesn't have DMA enabled, the easiest way to re-enable it is to remove the channel and reboot. Windows will then automatically reinstall it and reset the counters that deactivated DMA in the first place.

To remove the channel:
Right click on the relevant channel in Device Manager (you know how to get there - follow steps 1 thru 5 above )
Click on uninstall
Reboot
When you have rebooted (and the drive and been recognised by Windows again), go back to Device Manager and change the setting to DMA if available.
Windows NT/2000 users reboot again. XP users, you're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment